About Me

My photo
This blog is simply meant to bring God the glory; no more and no less. I'd love to hear from you! Comments, questions, conversation. rebecca.labriola@gmail.com

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Father's Love: Our Version v. The True Story. Advent Day 10. December 10, 2013.

It’s like pulling teeth to get most any of my confirmation kids to answer any questions.
And if they do answer?
It’s usually: soccer.
Which as you might imagine,
has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

So, instead of getting nowhere but soccer,
I like to have them ask me questions.
The challenge is fun
and it get their minds going too.

My absolute favorite question that I've ever been asked by a confirmation kid was:

If God is all-loving then why does He expect me to be so perfect all the time?

I love this question.
It challenging
and that’s awesome.

My answer?

All-loving.
Okay, so love.
Nothing but love.
He can only love.
He can do nothing but love.
He does not do what He hates.

Love has this connotation of
pretty pink flowers,
unicorns,
rainbows,
and happy
happy
happy.

Fluffy,
mushy,
gushy,
lovey-dovey,
and if it feels good, do it!

Tolerance.
Lukewarm.

And that’s where the problem comes in.

This is what we think of love.
And if this is what we think of love,
then of course the Father is demanding.

If love means unicorns,
then what the Father asks of us
is evil unicorns.

If love means tolerance,
then what the Father asks of us
is ridiculous;
I should be allowed to do whatever I feel like.

But love isn’t unicorns
or tolerance.

Love is
challenge,
change,
patient,
kind,
giving of yourself,
God,
the crucifix.

Love is supposed to challenge.
God does call us to perfection.

Be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Matthew 5:48

But it is because His love
is a love that challenges.
A love that changes.
It is not a lukewarm love
or a stagnant love,
or a stinkin’ unicorn love.

If we don’t understand love as it was meant to be understood,
then we will perceive the way the God loves us as a wrong form of love.

If we change the way we view love,
if we see love as it was originally intended to be seen,
then we understand the love that the Father truly has for us.

See what love that Father has bestowed on us that we may be called children of God.
1 John 3:1


No comments:

Post a Comment