About Me

My photo
This blog is simply meant to bring God the glory; no more and no less. I'd love to hear from you! Comments, questions, conversation. rebecca.labriola@gmail.com

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Hope That Disappoints Not. Wednesday, August 15. 2012.

St. Paul made a hefty promise in Romans 5:5.
He proclaimed that,"hope does not disappoint".
This passage stuck out to me.
It reads beautifully.
It is a passage filled with well, hope.
It makes me hopeful because
I know all too well that I am really good at being hopeful for things.

Two semesters ago I reeeeeally was hoping for 3 extra points to appear
so that I could get an A in Marine Biology.
Too many times to count I have hoped for plans to follow through
and they definitely did not.
Last night I was hoping I was going to wake up without a headache
but the heat got the best of me again.
Often times, what I hope for does not happen.
In my crazy, selfish, little brain I whine at God telling Him
that I was hopeful for that A,
for those plans to follow through,
and for a headache-free morning this week
Annnnndddd...
He just laughs.
He laughs at my plans.
He chuckles at me trying to block out the rest of the passage
and at me being complete focused on one line of the Bible
and for my own benefit at that.

"...We rejoice in our hope of sharing the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not disappoint us, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us."
Romans 5:2-5

Ah, very interesting.
So there are steps to obtain this hope that does not disappoint.
We must rejoice in our sufferings.
It is this rejoicing the will lead us to hope.
When we rejoice in our sufferings,
we are automatically brought so much closer to Christ.
When we are in such close union with Him,
our hopes and desires change.
Our hope will not be for an A in a class but rather,
for the salvation of souls,
or for the protection of loved ones.

While there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting
good grades or even some material things,
it is far mor beneficial for our souls to desire things that God desires for us.
Next time, instead of my hope being for an A in the class,
my hope is going to be whatever God wills for my life.
If we hope for whatever He has in store for us
then we will truly never be disappointed
because we will trust that He has a hand in it.
Hope for His plans for your life,
it is a hope that will never disappoint.
Paul promised.

No comments:

Post a Comment