About Me

My photo
This blog is simply meant to bring God the glory; no more and no less. I'd love to hear from you! Comments, questions, conversation. rebecca.labriola@gmail.com

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Disciple. Wednesday, April 2. Lent 2014.

They say that when you go through a hard time,
you find out who your real friends are.

Or the more modern,
you know who your real friend are
when you deactivate your Facebook
and a handful, eh maybe one or two, of your 1,436 friends
remember your birthday.
Those are the good ones,
the real friends.

We’re the best friend anyone could ever have…
until something major happens,
or until our friendship is challenged.

So too as disciples of Jesus.
We’re all on board,
until we are challenged
and forced out of out comfort zone.

Being a disciple of Jesus
means following Him.

This following is not just limited to the Resurrection.
It includes the Cross and the suffering as well.

“If you are guided by the same spirit, if you live with the same life as Jesus, your thorn-crowned Head, you must expect only thorns, lashes, and nails; that is, nothing but the cross; for the disciple must be treated like the Master.”

We’re getting into the second half of Lent.
We just want Easter.
We want candy
or soda
or to complain
or whatever it is that we have given up.

We just want the happy, joyful songs at Mass.
Enough with the gloom already.

But this is part of the discipleship.
This is part of our duty.
To follow Jesus in the hard times as well.
To be one of the few who are willing to
be by His side throughout the suffering,
and the carrying of the cross,
and the crucifixion
and finally the Resurrection.

I don’t want to be one of the ones who is there only
for the joy of Easter.
I want to be there for the suffering and the cross too.

Follow Christ,
wherever that may lead.    




This Lenten blog series is based upon St. Louis de Montfort's writings. Unless otherwise noted, all the phrases in quotation marks are taken from the book Jesus Living in Mary.

1 comment:

  1. A.M.D.G.

    Amen.

    I was hurt by another person's actions and a question came up, "Would you continue in that action if it meant that I had to continue to suffer?" If it meant that I would have to suffer due to their actions. Their response was NOT what I wanted to hear, in my humanity, yet I knew it would fall along those lines. Their reply was, "You want me to stop?! Then I would suffer!" They were okay with me being hurt by their behavior, yet they would not stop because they were afraid that they would have to feel that pain themselves. I wanted to hear something more along the lines of, "Well, I would stop this behavior because I love you so much that I don't want to hurt you." Nah. Didn't happen.

    Then it made me think...Isn't this what Our Lord says to us??? If we only knew how much pain that we cause to Our Dear Savior by our actions, our words, even our thoughts...and we complain about carrying a cross that doesn't even measure in magnitude to The Cross that He alone bore along with all of the suffering that His body was going through...for ALL mankind!

    It is a great honor to carry a "little cross" for the greater glory of God the Father. Jesus said, "Come unto me all you who labor and are heavy burdened and I will give you rest." When we embrace and carry our own cross, it isn't so heavy and a burden after all...when we rely upon Our Lord and receive the graces that She who is Full of Grace, imparts upon us...Mary.

    Mary, Mother of God, Our Queen and Our Mother, please pour out the graces that we need to carry our own personal crosses without complaining. Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed are though amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. +Amen.

    Mrs.O.

    ReplyDelete