About Me

My photo
This blog is simply meant to bring God the glory; no more and no less. I'd love to hear from you! Comments, questions, conversation. rebecca.labriola@gmail.com

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Society's Mottos v. The Gospel's Motto. Thursday, June 19. 2014.

Sometimes my sister and I can be heard making use of the phrase,
‘You do you boo’.

I’m going to put some cheese on my salad.
You do you boo.
Do what you want.

It is a phrase that is utilized and 
has become a lifestyle in our society.

Do what you want.
Do whatever feels right.
Do what you feel like doing.
Maybe I don’t agree,
but it’s your choice.

This strategy might be okay for how you take your coffee.
But when it comes to bigger matters,
moral matters,
it doesn’t work as well.
It gets us into trouble.

When it is no longer a matter of opinion
but a matter of right and wrong,
we can’t all be right.
We just can’t.

Life isn’t a game played by 5 year olds where everyone wins.
There are things that are right
and there are things that are wrong.

Society doesn’t think that way.
Society simply tells us to
do whatever feels right.

It’s almost as if it were the current society’s motto:
Do Whatever Feels Right!

So contradictory from what the Gospel proclaims.

On the third day there was a wedding in Cana in Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. Jesus and his disciples were also invited to the wedding. When the wine ran short, the mother of Jesus said to Him, “They have not wine.” And Jesus said to her, “Woman how does your concern affect me? My hour has not yet come.” His mother said to the servers,
“Do whatever he tells you.’

John 2:1-5
The motto of the Gospel:
Do Whatever He Tells You!

I do not think that these two mottos could be any more different.

Do whatever He tells you.
It means surrendering to His will.
It means setting aside our own desires and feelings.
It means taking the road less travelled.
It means doing some things that we might not want to do.

It isn’t about doing what we feel is right,
but rather,
it is about doing whatever He tells you.

This was such a bold reminder to me that
I do not want to follow the motto of society.
Not only do I not want to follow it,
I want to flee from it.
And go the complete opposite direction.

No wonder Christians are not supposed to be of this world.
The world doesn’t hold itself to the same standards that a Christian should.
The world doesn’t model itself after the Gospel.

I want to hold myself to a higher standard,
to not be of this world
and not to do whatever feels right
but rather,
I pray that in this life,
I do whatever He tells me. 



1 comment:

  1. There is truly only One Way...and that is His way!

    We must do whatever He tells us...BUT, in order to do so we must HEAR what He tells us...we need to LISTEN in order to HEAR His voice speaking to us...in order to listen, we must BE QUIET...sssshhhhhhh...be quiet and listen so that we can hear what He is trying to tell us...and THEN...

    ...DO WHATEVER HE TELLS YOU!

    "Be it done unto me according to thy will."
    +Amen

    Mrs.O.

    ReplyDelete