About Me

My photo
This blog is simply meant to bring God the glory; no more and no less. I'd love to hear from you! Comments, questions, conversation. rebecca.labriola@gmail.com

Monday, March 28, 2011

Surrender, Trust, Give it All. Monday March 28. Lent 2011.

I was talking to a friend about making giant leaps of faith.
I felt like I made a giant leap of faith to the best of my ability.
And maybe I did do the best I could, maybe I didn’t, but either way, I felt let down.
I felt like God let me down.
I felt like He failed me.
That whole situation continues to play a part in my life today.
I am more cautious when I make changes- if I make them at all.
I am more like an unsure baby learning to walk than a confident person.
Today I was sitting here thinking, why?
Why the feelings of being failed and let down?
It seems like it would have just been easier to continue with the leap of faith instead of make it harder.
As all these thoughts were racing through my head, another thought shoved itself in there.
The though of how dare I?
How dare I take these feelings of being let down and let them make my decisions for me; decisions that could possibly be some of the most important decisions in my life. 

How dare I sit and dwell in the thoughts of being let down when I let Christ down multiple times a day when I sin.
Maybe I was not let down at all.
It might feel that way.
But maybe I wasn’t.
However, I know for a fact that I truly let God down constantly.
And what does He do?
He comes back at me not with anger or rage but with arms wide open.
He offers forgiveness and unending love.
Despite.
Regardless.
No matter how many times a day I turn away from Him or go against Him and offend Him, He is there waiting for me to turn back to Him.
He is willing to still love us with all that He is- regardless of our failings.
And what do I do when I feel let down?
Completely shut down.
Become indifferent.
Shove the pain away.

How different life would be if we were as forgiving as Christ!
If the next time we were let down we brushed it off our shoulder and continued to love.
If we rejoiced in feeling pain for it can bring us closer to Christ.
If we boldly accepted every obstacle placed in our way.

I know that I struggle in this area greatly.
I very well know that if I could be bold enough to accept what was
and love what is
and be expectant for what will be
I would walk this journey of life more confidently.
If I trusted that EVERYTHING is in His hands I know I could more effectively love.
I would be a better Christian.
And isn’t that the main goal here?
Christ died for us.
The least we can do is live for Him.
Not against Him.
Live FOR Him.
Lay down every pain or sorrow or failure.
Lay it down at the foot of the cross.
He is there waiting.
With arms open.
He is waiting to be a part of every step we take.
We need to allow Him to move within us.
We need to trust Him.
Trust that He knows exactly what He is doing.
Trusting in the Lord is being willing to completely hand over one’s self and thoughts and whishes and hopes and desires and giving it all to the Lord.
And then truly believing He knows exactly what He is doing.
We might not always agree with what He is doing or has done but that is part of the surrender.

I encourage you to join me on this journey of truly surrendering to the Lord and trusting in His plan. This is a daily surrender. Sometimes even multiple times a day! It is a journey that could very well last a lifetime. We can only accomplish this by the strength of the Lord. We will be graced if we surrender, and trust, and hand it all over to Him.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, on your own intelligence rely not;
In all your ways be mindful of him, and he will make straight your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6






No comments:

Post a Comment