About Me

My photo
This blog is simply meant to bring God the glory; no more and no less. I'd love to hear from you! Comments, questions, conversation. rebecca.labriola@gmail.com

Monday, March 17, 2014

St. Patrick, St. Louis de Montfort, and Total Surrender. Monday, March 17. Lent 2014.

“To remain little is to recognize one’s own nothingness and to expect everything from God.”

This is part of Montfort’s understanding of the concept of childlike faith.
This complete dependence upon God is so fitting for Lent.

On Ash Wednesday we received ashes on our foreheads.
We were reminded that we are dust and to which we shall return.
We are nothing on our own.
We are mortal beings.
Helpless beings.

Thus we depend upon God as Father.
Not because we are greedy
but because
we have nothing
and
we are nothing
without Him.

Just as a newborn is dependent on its parents for survival;
so too are we dependent on Christ.

Being fully dependent is a challenging conscious decision to make.
A newborn lacks the choice.
We, however,
have many places in which to store our dependence.

But alas,
those other places will never suffice.
If we place our dependence elsewhere,
we are turning our backs upon life.

It can be overwhelming to place all of our dependence on Christ.
It requires our complete surrender and trust.

The Breastplate of St. Patrick is one of my favorite prayers.
It seems to cover all the bases of surrender.
Nothing is left out.
Everything is given up to God.

This prayer of abandonment falls right in line
with St. Louis de Montfort’s concept of childlike faith.

On this feast day:
St. Patrick, pray for us.


The Breastplate of St. Patrick

As I arise today
may the strength of God pilot me
the power of God uphold me
the wisdom of God guide me.
May the eye of God look before me
the ear of God hear me
the Word of God speak for me.
May the hand of God protect me
the way of God lie before me
the shield of God defend me
the host of God save me.
May Christ shield me today.

Christ with me
Christ before me
Christ behind me
Christ in me
Christ beneath me
Christ above me
Christ on my right
Christ on my left
Christ when I lie down
Christ when I sit
Christ when I stand
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me
Christ in every eye that sees me
Christ in every ear that hears me.

Amen.

This Lenten blog series is based upon St. Louis de Montfort's writings. Unless otherwise noted, all the phrases in quotation marks are taken from the book Jesus Living in Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment