About Me

My photo
This blog is simply meant to bring God the glory; no more and no less. I'd love to hear from you! Comments, questions, conversation. rebecca.labriola@gmail.com

Sunday, March 30, 2014

The Cross as the Crucible to Holiness. Sunday, March 30. Lent 2014.

“The Cross is the crucible in which God fashions saints.”

The Cross is the big melting pot
in which we are bent,
broken,
challenged,
changed,
melted,
warped,
and formed.

Formed to the shape of the Cross.
The shaped that saved us from eternal death.
The shape that will lead us to holiness.

It’s like taking medicine though,
we know it will make us better,
but we just don’t want to do it.

We know that the Cross will benefit our lives
but we have decided that we deserve to not suffer.

We think of our crosses as these big giant issues,
health problems,
money issues,
family tiffs
but really,
some of the most
challenging
and beautiful crosses that we can carry
are the minuscule daily ones.

The ones that we don’t even think of as crosses.
The little things that make us groan
and complain.

Sometimes I wonder how much I would actually have to say to people
if I was forbidden from complaining.
I’m guessing I would be a very quiet person.

All this day in and day out complaining
could instead be conversation.
Conversation with Christ.
Relating to Christ,
thanking Christ for the Cross.

“May Jesus and his Cross reign forever.”

Suffering,
trials,
and little inconveniences throughout the day
should not be dreaded.
Remember,
they are what is leading us to holiness.
What should change is the way in which we respond to them.

I know I’m not thankful for my crosses,
I don’t normally ask for help in carrying them,
and definitely not asking for them to reign forever.
But maybe I should.
After all,
they are leading us to holiness.
 

This Lenten blog series is based upon St. Louis de Montfort's writings. Unless otherwise noted, all the phrases in quotation marks are taken from the book Jesus Living in Mary.

1 comment:

  1. A.M.D.G.

    The weight of the cross...each cross that we must bear...there are those little crosses which we encounter daily...BUT there is also the BIG cross that some of us have to bear...it is in embracing this cross where we are transformed into the likeness of Our Lord...it is in the embracing of our cross that we are dying to "self" and becoming more and more like Him.

    I have one particular cross to bear and I realized just yesterday that this particular cross is having physical effects upon my body...this cross is "killing" me...I realized that this cross is killing my "self" and through it...as I embrace it (which isn't an easy thing to do in itself) my "self" will slowly dissipate and I will be crucified...thereby becoming likened unto Christ crucified and overcoming the spiritual death that keeps me on this cross.

    Glory and praise to Our Lord Jesus Christ!
    +Amen

    Mrs.O.

    ReplyDelete